While browsing the web, I discovered a great site . It’s called Weston Langford Railway Photography and contains a huge amount of pictures of Australian railway scenes, taken between 1961 and the current day by the well known railway enthusiast, Weston Langford. I did a search on Moreton and found about 20 pictures that were taken on the 22nd of November in 1966. Inspirational stuff for modellers Australian sugar cane railways!


The image above shows ‘Eudlo’ uncoupling loaded sugar cane trucks near the main line junction, before backing up to take on water at the Bli Bli water tank.

And now for something …

… completely different! No, I am not going to stop building my Australian layout nor am I putting my Shay on hold. I only decided to do a small project on the side and entered the Eurospoor 2011 diorama contest organised by the Dutch Beneluxspoor forum. 


Fortunately there are almost no limitations, except that the build area needs to be 100 x 30 cm and that the height is limited to 60 cm. The theme of this HOn30 layout, will be a salmon cannery located in the wilderness of Alaska. As this is my first American build, I decided to but the Revilia Shipping & Storage kit from Bar Mills to be able to experiment with the different building and weathering techniques. The picture above shows my first results and although there is still some room for improvement, I am already quite pleased with it …

Weathering the truck

As I am not that much of a weathering expert, I decided to experiment a bit on one of the 3D-printed wholestick trucks. I started out by taking the truck apart again and spraying a layer of Tamiya grey primer on the chassis & couplers. Once this had completely dried, I applied a layer of Tank Grey from Humbrol.

The painted & weathered wholestick truck

The rust was simulated by dusting the chassis & couplers with some self-made weathering powders. They were made by sanding down pastels from Conté à Paris, which sell a great set of 12 sketching pastels with colours ranging from red-brown to black. I first applied a base of dark brown powder and sealed it with a layer of Anti-Shine Matt Varnish from The Army Painter, which is a great alternative for Testors Dullcote. After that I applied a couple of touches of red-brown powder and finished it off with a layer of Anti-Shine Matt Varnish.

Continue reading